Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Wait a minute . . .

Wait, just hold on a sec,

Honestly, truly.

Please believe me.

I didn't sign up for this!

And by "this" I mean life in general of course -- since life hasn't been all fluffy bunnies and bankroll -- but I also mean the job that I have now.

I emailed a friend a few days back, from work, and the email had my autosignature on it. According to my work title, I am a "Technical Support Engineer." My friend emails me back asking what kind of freaky engineering degree did I get!

Maybe I should call this guy my "so called" friend. I don't know, what do y'all think?

Here's my point. I ain't no engineer, and I don't think that I am all that technical. But hey it works. I got the job based on my outstanding (their words, not mine) work as a contractor for this company.

I was working as an MS Access database guru. And by the by, I don't think I am a guru at this stuff. But I will say that I am pretty good at figure things out.

What has happened now, is that while my fellow new co-workers are training on what we are supposed to be doing, I am doing database stuff.

Now don't get me wrong. I LIKE doing this db stuff. I am a great data analyst and I am great at sorting through what people want and how to give it to them. But I had had this vision in mind of getting all this technical knowledge and leveraging it into a technical writing type job. (at least then I would be writing.

That might come along but I think I may be opening up a new path here into the deep dark recesses of database worlds.

Hey, it works. I like it. I think I want the technical experience as well, but here's the issue.

I HAVE A DEGREE IN HUMANITIES. How in the world does a guy with a degree in English lit, and a master's in what is basically postmodern philosophy and theology end up being so good at database stuff (which mind you I hadn't done much and what I had done was seven years ago)???

Really, honestly, I didn't sign up for this.

I kinda like navel gazing.

On the other hand, it is sort of fun to say to someone living in the concrete world, that maybe the data can give you that information and maybe it can't. If you ask me nicely I will make it say whatever you want. Remember I have an M.H. in BS!

No comments: