Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Practice over theory . . . FINALLY

Hey,
What can I say, as those of you who know me know, it has been a crazy summer. But yes, my sister is right in her comment on the last post, the major substance of my thesis is done now, and I pray that my committee doesn't want too many changes. I love what I do, but at the moment I am kind of tired.

My thesis is about love, true Agape love that can only come through an encounter with Christ, because he was the first and only person to show this sort of love. As we continue to encounter and re-encounter Christ, our identity changes, it shift to be an identity that is has Christ in it, and consequently can see the world -- see other humans -- as Christ sees us.

This completely lines up with what my wife is talking about here. Mercy -- Charity, Agape -- complete self-giving and other-receiving love is incredibly hard to do. And yet, as christians that is what we are called to do.

Okay, enough theory. How is this playing out in my life?

Well, I am in a spot in life where I have chosen a few people with whom I am completely open and honest with. And as for the rest of life and my interactions I am doing the same as much as I can and still protect myself.

What does this mean? It means I am in a place where throught the strength of God, I am stepping out in trust with people. This is incredibly scary for me, as I have always been one to do things on my own and specifically NOT to trust people.

I am trying to put into play everything that I discovered through my recent research (both for my thesis and just in life). I have found that I need to trust, I need to open my arms and invite people into an embrace of relationship. If it is not reciprocated then I have to trust in God and give everything over to him.

Amazingly simple to write, incredibly hard to live.

I love my God, and I wish to follow him and live a life where the traces of him continually accrete in my identity.

For me that mean to give God my heart, soul, mind in total and complete love. And in doing so to give myself in the same way to others in my life.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Glad that you are blogging again Brad :)